We get very few complaints from members of the public regarding bonfires, however, the following has been agreed with the Landlords to ensure complaints are kept to a minimum.
There is one hard and fast rule – bonfires may only be lit after 4.00pm.
The Association is run by volunteers who cannot police the fields 24 hours a day therefore members are kindly asked to adhere to the following guidelines –
- Respect the neighbours that live right next to the allotment fields (within 20 yards).
- Try to have your bonfire on a day when there is little or no wind to blow the smoke around.
- Light you bonfire as far away from any structure as is possible.
- Non bio-degradable materials i.e. plastic must be removed from the allotment field and not burnt.
- Bio-degradable material should where possible be composted.
- Do not leave the bonfire unattended.
- Burn dry and diseased material and try to have a quick smoke free blaze.
- Keep water on hand in case it gets out of control.
Members must not leave a Bonfire until it has burned down and gone out.